About Councilmember Navarro

I serve as the Council Vice-President and the Montgomery County Councilmember representing District 4. I am the chair of the Government Operations and Fiscal Policy Committee and also serve on the Health and Human Services Committee.

Get The Latest News

Sign up to receive latest news

January 6, 2012

R.I.P. Roscoe Nix

Roscoe Nix was an icon, pure and simple. He understood the complexities of the times, and he always stood up for the truth. He was a civil rights activist until the end. he would say that a lot had been gained but so much more neeed to be done. He spoke to me about the importance of creating coalitions between Latinos, African Americans, Asians and other immigrants. About the importance of grooming the next generation of leaders of color, because this was a County in transition, a positive transition that mirrors the national trend. Those were some of the reasons why he went out on a limb and endorsed me when I ran for Council- I am ever so grateful for his advice and his belief in me.

I just regret that there aren't many Roscoes left- his wisdom, humility, courage and generosity was legendary.


I am glad that I was a member of the Board of Education when we voted to name an elementary school in his honor and I was there when he spoke during the dedication ceremony. All the children who attend, and will attend
Roscoe Nix Elementary school will be honored by this icon's spirit. Rest in peace Roscoe, you achieved so much in your time here, you inspired many of us to emulate your courage and always stand up for truth. Que Dios te Bendiga.

0 comments:

Post a Comment