Here are some tips from the Montgomery County Office of Public Information on how to be safe in Parking Lots:
- Always stay alert for vehicles.
- Don't assume drivers see you.
- Watch for vehicles pulling out of parking spaces.
- Don't walk behind a vehicle that is backing out.
- Be cautious and look around before walking out between parked vehicles.
- Treat the parking lot as you would a road - be aware and constantly look for moving vehicles.
- Always stay alert for pedestrians.
- Don't assume pedestrians see you.
- Be especially cautious backing out of a space when parked next to taller vehicles that obstruct your view.
- Parking lots are not speedways - slow down!
- Never cut across parking space lanes.
- Treat the parking lot as you would a road - be aware and constantly look out for pedestrians.
Safety is your responsibility!